Wednesday, April 18, 2007

On the follies of living in a fool's paradise

Alot of interesting things have happened over the past few days... which has left me really amused. It has also led me to ponder about a lot of things. i read a profile of a person somewhere in which the person claimed to have learnt nothing from past experiences.... How quaint and arrogant at the same time. How can you NOT learn anything..? Not repeating the same mistakes... perhaps not succumbing to the "artificies" of the opposite sex... being patient... or not being rigid... being more vocal or less for that matter..... the list can go on and on .... of course there are lessons to be learnt ... because if you dont learn anything then you dont grow... u become stagnant ... But i guess thats the folly of us folks... we are too pompous ...too in love with ourselves to actually realise how limited we have made ourselves... we're happy in the belief that only we're right... not giving anyone the leverage to show their worth... their merit

All of us think that we're god's gift to mankind... and have the birthright to be judgemental... we think we know who is wrong.... who is evil....

it's sad and disgusting....

2 comments:

bakpakchik said...

Interesting post. Had me thinking. Funnily enough, I had a long shisha session with a new friend a few evenings ago and your post reminded me of something we talked about ...

... he asked me what was the one thing I regretted doing the most in my life ...

I though about it really hard and my answer was "Nothing".

Because what is 'regret' for an action if not the wish to reverse it? And I might have done lots of things that didn't seem 'the right thing to do' at that time .. either to me or to the people I did those things to ... but when I look at it in retrospect ... would I do any of it differently?

No.

Because what I 'did' .. and what we all 'do' .. is what we 'are' ... dictates what we 'become'

And anyone truly happy with the way they are know that they are the way they are because of the things they did ... that going back and changing any of it will change what they are today ...

Damn ... this goes on blog! :)

Rants & Raves said...

Its not a matter of having regrets... my point is....how can you learn nothing from past experiences... it doesnt mean you actually want to rewind and go in the past and undo things... RATHER.... you gain knowledge and wisdom in the process... and thts how u grow... there may be no regrets during the entire process... it may be only enlightenment... but there has to be something... be it regret which leads to enlightenment... or enlightenment itself...ie. if u're lucky (i think i am one of those... cause i TOO never had regrets because i wouldnt be the person i am today ... if i went back and changed/altered any phase or moment in life)